POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Refraction bug(?) this time : Re: Refraction bug(?) this time Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Refraction bug(?) this time
From: Ken
Date: 3 Dec 1998 00:14:00
Message: <36661D7A.C1C15D85@pacbell.net>
Forgetting your thoughts on the hollow key word instead
lets look at the different objects here and their properties.
If we took a box, instead of the plane, and assigned it
a refractive ior value. Inside of this box we place a sphere
with the value you ascribed of rgbf 1. As you have
mentioned by itself floating in air the object is technicaly
invisible. When you place the sphere inside the box on the
other hand it would be treated as something akin to an air
pocket inside a glass cube. The rays calculated for the space
in the cube will be different than those for the rest of the box
object. While technicaly this is an invalid model but it suffices
to illustrate the point.
  The hollow keyword is necessary for pov to understand
exactly what is inside and what is out. If you wanted to
place a media inside the box and not the sphere pov gets
confused as to whose surface normal belongs to who. The
hollow keyword sets this conditionaly but has no other effect
on solid objects. In effect the object is really still solid. Only
the way the objects interior is treated is different when media
effects are being calculated.

Ken Tyler